Nothing says summer like sweet, juicy strawberries. Biting into a sun-warmed, freshly-picked strawberry is simple perfection, but adding pastry, cream, and a little more sugar to these ruby gems is simple decadence. I know folks can get real touchy about something as important as strawberry shortcake, but here’s a shortcut to this summertime classic.
1. Wash fresh strawberries, hull, and slice into fourths.
2. Stir in some sugar and let berries macerate. (Did you just giggle?) Just let them get good and juicy, for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Pop a frozen pie crust into the oven as directed on package. Dust it with a bit of sugar before baking, if you like. When crust is cool, cut into uneven pieces for serving.
4. Don’t even think about using that squirt can or stuff in a tub. Pour heavy whipping cream into a metal or glass bowl and mix on high for about 5 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Add a little sugar to sweeten cream.
5. To serve, layer pie crust pieces, berries, and whipped cream. Be sure to add some of the juice so the crust gets a bit soggy and strawberry-y and oh so yummy. Repeat as many layers as you wish.
6. Share the splendor with someone sweet before summer slips away!
Think On These Things~ Alicia