The beginning of the new year seems a logical time to make resolutions, but the fact is, they don’t usually last through the winter. And are we surprised? January is often defined by icy roads, gray skies, short days, runny noses, and general malaise after holiday excess. It’s not exactly a season ripe with motivation.
Maybe tomorrow, the first day of autumn, is a more natural time to toss out the old and welcome the new. After all, Mother Earth is giving us lots of hints and encouragement that this is, indeed, the season of change. The rich color of the falling leaves, the shifting golden sun, the cool, crisp mornings~ yes, change is in the air.
I’m not suggesting that any of us needs a complete life makeover, just some simple tweaks in our daily round to bring more beauty and balance to our lives.
Here are a few of the changes I’m focusing on this season~
- sitting down to a proper breakfast
- taking a morning and evening walk (meditation & prayer time)
- replacing my afternoon soda with a cup of tea, and possibly a tiny cookie
- infusing each day with things that bring me joy~ books, art, music, and nature
- starting, finishing, or quitting projects, as the case may be
- saying with confidence, “No, but thank you.”
- dining without the distraction of phones or television
- feeling comfortable in my own skin
- making our home the place I most want to be
- greeting each day and each person with a cheerful heart
- following a schedule so my days reflect my goals and values (more about this on Sunday)
Have you made any fall resolutions? Are you instituting any subtle changes in your daily routine? We’d love for you to share your ideas on our Facebook or website page. Let’s fall into autumn with the intention of making each of our days a little lovelier.
“Aprils have never meant much to me, autumns seem that season of beginning, spring.” ~ Truman Capote in Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Think on These Things ~ Alicia
“Good on you” for this autumn resolution! Beautifully written and inspiring but must it be just one tiny cookie????
LikeLiked by 1 person